Counsellor, Psychotherapist, EMDR Therapist and Clinical Supervisor in Horsforth (LS18) district of Leeds, West Yorkshire.
I am a qualified and experienced BACP Accredited, and UKRCP registered counsellor/psychotherapist, systemic practitioner and EMDR Therapist and am also a clinical supervisor. I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework, complaints procedures and insurance policies.
My client work includes individuals, couples, families and groups. I have been in full-time, formally supervised professional practice since January 2004 and have worked with thousands of clients in private practice and in professional healthcare settings, including NHS-led Primary Care (IAPT) and Secondary Care (NHS Psychological Therapies Service and Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)) mental healthcare settings. I have also worked extensively in employment and workplace counselling and in the voluntary/charitable sector and in-house as a telephone counsellor, case manager and later, senior case manager for both large and small EAP (employment assistance providers).
I can see individuals, couples (including marriage and relationship counselling), and families and am also an experienced group therapist. I am able to offer supervision to counsellors and psychotherapists and to work as a trainer and mentor for other professionals on a number of areas of special interest and experience.
Relevant Qualifications & Accreditations/Registrations:
- BA (hons) Person Centred Counselling
- Dip Person Centred Counselling
- PGCert Systemic Practice
- Systemic Practitioner
- EMDR Therapist
- Registered Member BACP (Accred) Reg. Cert: 017390
- Family & Systemic Therapy (2 years, post grad)
- Anger (opens in another window)
- Domestic Violence
- Managing & Responding to Trauma
- EMDR UK & Europe Part 1
- EMDR UK & Europe Part 2
- EMDR UK & Europe Part 3
- On-line counselling
- Telephone counselling
- Primary Care (counsellor, psychotherapist, group facilitator, clinical lead, service manager)
- Secondary Care (Band 7 Psychotherapist, NHS; counselling and psychotherapy lead, CMHT/third sector and service coordinator)
- Employee Assistance Provider (case manager, senior case manager, counsellor, telephone counsellor)
- Private practice (counselling, therapist, relationship and marriage counselling, individual counselling, group therapist/facilitator)
- Voluntary sector (counselling, group therapist/facilitator, administrator, fund raising)
- Training counsellors and other clinical staff:
- Working With Psychosis
- Working With Personality Disorders
- Working with Suicide
- Working With Anger
- Couples in Conflict
- Becoming Solutions Focused
- In-company/organisation training including:
- Managing Traumatised Teams
- Staying Calm in a Crisis
- Workplace Bullying
- Anger in the Workplace
- Addiction Awareness
Summary of My Main Training
I undertook the first four years of my counselling training here: Metanoia Institute. Training at this institute is among the most rigorous in the country and is regarded as being among the most respected in its chosen fields. This is a BACP Accredited training and, when I was there, it was mandatory that the training take at least four years. This is very different from many colleges and courses that qualify their students in two years or less. As part of the core training, we were required to undertake a supervised counselling placement of a minimum 400 hours, to submit written reports from our supervisors and demonstrate competence in theory, self-reflection and application of theory to practice. After completing the main training in late 2003, I began full-time professional practice in 2004 and continued my training to complete viva and case studies in 2005 and was awarded both an Hons Degree and a Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling.
I have subsequently gained a deeper understanding of the importance of early
life development, family structures, patterns and systems that tend to have a
powerful influence on the way adults interact with others, especially in close personal
relationships at home and at work. I have undertaken regular further
training and professional development work and have successfully completed two
years of post-graduate study at the
Leeds Family Therapy & Research Centre, part of University of Leeds
Institute of Health Sciences, studying Family Therapy & Systemic Practice.
I am accredited as a counsellor/psychotherapist by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (see BACP) and am a registered independent counsellor/psychotherapist with the United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (UKRCP).
I later spent a year training at the Institute Of Group Analysis in London, studying supervision in a group setting.
I see/work with:
- Individuals, couples (including
marriage and relationship counselling), families, groups
- Open-ended counselling and psychotherapy
- Short-term and brief interventions
- Planned structured therapy (not CBT )
- I am also able and experienced at working by telephone and, where appropriate, e-mail
If you are wondering how much therapy you might need, I have included a guide, based on my clinical experience.
- Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Individual, couples, family and group
- Open-ended counselling contracts
- Short-term/Brief therapy
- Fixed contract therapy (usually 4 or 6 sessions)
- Psychotherapy for
psychiatric/mental health conditions
- Couples (married, in relationship, etc.)
- Trauma, PTSD & EMDR
- Anger and/or Domestic Violence work (opens my specialised anger site in a new window)
- Couples (married, in relationship, etc.), see also couples therapy page on this site
- Other Specialised Theme Groups:
Individual, couples and family counselling rooms in Horsforth, Leeds, LS18.
Contact and Locations